Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Summer Entertainment

Ok so I have never done this before, but I figured I should give it a shot and give a list of all the fun Summer movies and Video Games I played, ala Kevin style. So here it goes.

Iron Man:
I loved this movie. I have never been a big Robert Downey Jr. fan, until this movie. He plays the perfect opposite to what a hero should be, and really just makes the movie funnier than I think it would be otherwise if they had got the usual plucky hero type. The action and special effects were really amazing, and a lot of the sequences had me glued, although I felt that the end battle wasn't nearly as fun to watch as some of the battles in the middle of the movie, but all in all I think this was a good one.

Prince Caspian:
I actually liked this one a lot more than most people did I am finding. I don't think it was better than the original, but I think for a sequel it definitely held up to the hype. I just think the story isn't as fun as that of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, so they did great with what they had. I loved the final battle, especially once the trees get in to it, and I thought they did a great job of making Peter, Susan, Edward and Lucy look really cool too lol.

Indiana Jones:
Again, I was one of few who really loved this movie. So many people seemed to be bugged about the whole alien thing, but I found it perfectly fitting for the time period the movie was portaying. I know, it wasn't realistic. I get it. But really, is a bunch of nazis getting their faces burned off by the arc of the covenant really that believable? So yeah, I loved it all, and I thought the action held up great considering how worried I was about Harrison Ford's age. All in all, this was my second favorite Indy movie, right after Raiders.

Sex and the City:
Yes... I saw this movie. I think I was the only straight guy in the movie theater. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but that's not saying much. It really was just a big drama fest mixed with some funny quirky parts, so yeah, all in all not something I am excited to see again and again, but I am sure I will get to anyway lol

Kung Fu Panda:
Easily one of my favorite movies of the year, as the Furious Five figurines on my work desk might say. Not only did this movie have me laughing harder than I have for a long time, but the Kung Fu in it was actually amazing! Especially in the ways that they used actual animals to do the actual styles, and all the cool special effects you would expect in a fun kung fu movie. This movie had a great story, great music and was visually stunning. I recommend it to anyone.

Don't Mess with the Zohan:
Don't waste your time or money. I like the Sandman, but he just seems to be trying to take business from Mike Meyers in this stupid, bad joke filled crapfest.

Get Smart:
I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would too. Good for a good laugh, has some fun stuff in it, but don't go expecting an amazing story or oscar winning performances. Purely a movie for fun, and it succeeds in that.

Wall-E:
Most people didn't like this movie for the lack of actual talking, but that is one of the things I loved about it. Pixar made Wall-E so expressive that he didn't need to talk more than the few words he says, and his personality made him entertaining. This movie was also visually fantastic, and the story was fun even if it did get a tad bit preachy and guessable. All in all another one of my favorites for the year.

Hancock:
I'll admit it. I am a big Will Smith fan. That being said I think this is one of his better action films. He does some really good acting in it, much like I am Legend and Pursuit of Happiness, both of which were rolls I prefer him in. So yeah, the action was good, I didn't think the little twist was as big a deal as some people made it out to be, and in the end I really loved the movie and the story and hope they do another one.

Dark Knight:
This was definitely one of the best of the year, if only for the Joker. What an amazingly cool character. I was absolutely hating him one minute, and laughing at him the next. Really an amazing job by Heath Ledger. I did have a few problems with it, like Christian Bale getting a bit too carried away with his "Batman voice" and the fact that it was just so depressing the entire time, but I think that's what they were going for, so in a way that made it a huge success for me. If I thought there wasn't going to be a sequel to set everything right, I wouldn't like it as much, but as it is now I loved it.

I watch too many movies I realized. That's just the ones I saw in the theaters. As far as games go, everything is kind of overshadowed by Little Big Planet Beta, let alone the actual game coming out here soon, but I did have some fun with a few. I finally got to play through Resistance, and I thought it was pretty good for a FPS. I played the Wii version of Dragon Quest, and I thought it was really fun for what it was, and definitely a good start out for kids to get used to turn base fighting. Currently I am playing Grid, and Drakes. I am usually not a fan of Racing games at all, but Grid is in its own little world. It really is such a fun game, and really easy to get really good, so that's nice. This is my second time through Drakes and I love it still. This time I am going through for the Trophies, but I could play this many more times and still love it.

Anyway, that's it for me I think. I'll let you all know how Little Big Planet is soon enough! Anybody else have anything good?

1 comment:

Kevin Keele said...

Hey Cool, I like this post.
I liked the new Indy too, and I totally agree that the best parts of Iron man happen in the middle of the movie. And the Dark Knight is not one of the best movies of the year. It's easily,far and away, THE best movie of the year. I still need to see WallE and Kung Fu Panda.
Nice reviews overall.